Tabs Out is an all-cassette podcast that’s been documenting the prolific tape underground with joyful obsession and humorous expertise since 2012. Tiny Mix Tapes has teamed with Tabs Out for a show called Laser Focus, in which tape aficionados/fetishists Mike Haley, Dave Doyen, and Joe B hone in on a specific label or artist. Check out the archive here.
Oxtail Recordings is a relatively young label but, in just a few years, have released a couple dozen impressive cassettes with a heavy fixation on glossy sounds and an ever-expanding aesthetic. The label’s top chef Mike Nigro stopped by Tabs Out HQ to talk shop, drink homemade brown ale, and play some cassette tapes from the Oxtail library.
Here are the tapes we played:
- Nigro - Meeker
- Andreas Brandal - A Switch In Time
- Cenote Glow - Island Of Enchantment
- Shingles - Split w/ Sound Out Light
- Maharadja Sweets - The Caprice Of Young Gods
- Primitive Fiction - Chapters
- Glass Frog - Hakuna Montuno