Kawaii Boys (Dustin Wong, Mark Mcguire, & Ken Seeno)
“Japan Tour 2013”

From May 8-18, 2013, Dustin Wong’s tour with Mark McGuire united two of the free world’s dopest live-looping guitarists — the young men behind this and this — on the same stage for a series of dates in front of Japanese fans who better know how good they had it, because — WHAT — Ken Seeno is the third member of this posse, and the two halves of Ponytail’s rainbow guitar assault have reunited — all three of these guys together — awww daaaamn!

If I were at Unit in Toyko on May 10, I would’ve been up front trying to witness the click of every pedal, the well-timed turn of every volume knob, every lead whammy’d into a shriek, every loop recorded and played back — BUT luckily someone filmed it from way up close and and synced it to high-quality audio so I can pretend I was there and appropriately nerd-out here in my own home. When confronted with these dudes shredding pentatonic melodies through heavy delay for 15 minutes and looping the output of three guitars into a giant glistening cloud of like 30-guitars-worth of ecstatic soloing, 95% of you will be at least somewhat-to-totally all like “Yeah! Fuck yeah! かわいい ボーイス!!” The other 5%, the ones who consider this “wanky” or “overblown” and sneer and namecheck The Edge derogatorily, I don’t know what to say to you.

• Dustin Wong: http://twitter.com/dustinwong
• Mark McGuire: http://mcguiremusic.blogspot.com
• Ken Seeno: http://kenseeno.com

Chocolate Grinder

CHOCOLATE GRINDER is our audio/visual section, with an emphasis on the lesser heard and lesser known. We aim to dig deep, but we’ll post any song or video we find interesting, big or small.

Newsfeed