If you enjoyed 2011’s Biophilia (TMT Review) as well as the series of remixes conducted for the album earlier this year, but thought the whole ordeal to be a bit ungainly, then you’re in luck. A haze of mystical woodland creatures composed of discarded parts from a now-defunct FoxCon plant bring us news of a curated selection of Biophilia remixes chosen by Ms. Guðmundsdóttir herself. Here’s why she decided to put together these bastards for your listening pleasure (courtesy of FACT):
I felt it important to gather together the essence of the remixes so I picked a quarter of them for one cd for people who are perhaps not too sassy downloaders or don’t have the time or energy to partake in the hunter-gathering rituals of the internet.
I think Björk has figured out a way to spin music pirates in a good light — just call them “sassy downloaders.” I’ve got a smile just thinking about them.
The list of contributors to bastards is a who’s who of fatherless music making, including 2012’s most consistent newsmakers, Death Grips, multiple tracks by Matthew Herbert, and one=off offerings from Alva Noto, Omar Souleyman, and These New Puritans among a few others. If you’re interested in getting your groove on to the lovely (but not particularly groovy) Biophilia, then you’re going to want to jump on the bastards-mobile when it comes to town November 19.
01. Crystalline (Omar Souleyman Remix)
02. Virus (Hudson Mohawke “Peaches and Guacamol” Rework)
03. Sacrifice (Death Grips Remix)
04. Sacrifice ((Matthew Herbert’s Pins And Needles Mix) edit)
05. Mutual Core (These New Puritans Remix featuring Soloman Is. Song)
06. Hollow (16-bit Remix)
07. Mutual Core (Matthew Herbert’s “Teutonic Plates” Mix)
08. Thunderbolt (Death Grips Remix)
09. Dark Matter (Alva Noto Remodel)
10. Thunderbolt (Omar Souleyman Remix)
11. Solstice (Current Value Remix)
12. Moon (The Slips Remix)
13. Crystalline (Matthew Herbert Remix)
• Björk: http://bjork.com