America’s favorite cartoon band is back! (Sorry, Jem and The Holograms, I’m talking about REAL cartoon bands only.) That’s right, five years after the release of their last album, Demon Days, Gorillaz are back… and apparently based out of one of those garbage islands in the Pacific. The press release even says so!
The band have taken up residence, recording on a secret floating island deep in the South Pacific, a Plastic Beach HQ, made up of the detritus, debris and washed up remnants of humanity. This Plastic Beach is the furthest point from any landmass on Earth; the most deserted spot on the planet.
Well, that’s gross. But the news of this new album, Plastic Beach, is anything but. It’s scheduled for a March 8 release on Virgin, and the band is celebrating by headlining Coachella on April 18. Check out first single “Stylo” over at the Chocolate Grinder.
This tracklisting is… sigh… bananas:
01. Orchestral Intro (feat. Sinfonia ViVA)
02. Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach (feat. Snoop Dogg & Hypnotic Brass Ensemble)
03. White Flag (feat. Kano, Bashy & The National Orchestra for Arabic Music)
04. Rhinestone Eyes
05. Stylo (feat. Bobby Womack & Mos Def)
06. Superfast Jellyfish (feat. Gruff Rhys & De La Soul)
07. Empire Ants (feat. Little Dragon)
08. Glitter Freeze (feat. Mark E Smith)
09. Some Kind of Nature (feat. Lou Reed)
10. On Melancholy Hill
12. Sweepstakes (feat. Mos Def & Hypnotic Brass Ensemble)
13. Plastic Beach (feat. Mick Jones & Paul Simonon)
14. To Binge (feat. Little Dragon)
15. Cloud of Unknowing (feat. Bobby Womack and Sinfonia ViVA)
16. Pirate Jet