It's time for some srs bsnss reporting. We're approaching the second-year anniversary of John Peel's death, something this reporter does not feel comfortable joking about (headlines aside). After all, Peel was immensely influencial on the British music scene and, as a result, the American music scene (you all know how it works). You most likely have some Peel session MP3s on your computer (unless you're a REAL MAN and you've got the lossless stuff).
Well, in case your computer is woefully empty, there are some nice people planning on releasing a double-disc complilation of Peel's fav tunes. Can I finally make a joke about how everyone's gotta make a buck (or a pound) off of every single goddamned event these days? Like the people I saw selling outrageously overpriced paper masks a few blocks from the former World Trade Center as soon as lower Manhattan was reopened and hawking them as "Official 9/11 Breathing Masks"? These questions are rhetoric, because my editors are in different states, cannot respond before this "goes to press," and will get the angry e-mails instead of me! Ha ha!
Anyway, the album is to be called John Peel - Right Time, Wrong Speed: 1977-1987. It will be released in the UK on October 9 and has tracks from all the bands you already like. However, if that's not enough to make you drop the big bills, Sir Peter Blake, designer of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band cover, is to be doing the cover of this album as well! Woo!
I swear to G-d, this is a tracklisting for a Nouvelle Vague album:
1. Buzzcocks - "What Do I Get?"
2. Stiff Little Fingers - "Alternative Ulster"
3. The Cure - "A Forest"
4. Killing Joke - "Pssyche"
5. The Slits - "Typical Girls"
6. The Only Ones - "Another Girl, Another Planet"
7. The Jesus And Mary Chain - "Just Like Honey"
8. Laurie Anderson - "O Superman"
9. The Modern Lovers - "Roadrunner"
10. Misty In Roots - "Mankind"
11. The Rezillos - "Can't Stand My Baby"
12. The Ruts - "In A Rut"
13. 4 Brothers - "Pasi Pano Pane Zviedzo"
14. The Damned - "New Rose"
15. The Jam - "Down In The Tube Station At Midnight"
16. Scritti Politti - "The Sweetest Girl"
17. Steel Pulse - "Ku Klux Klan"
18. The Mekons - "Where Were You?"
19. Ivon Cutler - "Life In A Scotch Sitting Room"
1. Joy Division - "Atmosphere"
2. The Cocteau Twins - "Musette And Drums"
3. The Smiths - "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"
4. Echo & The Bunnymen - "Over The Wall"
5. The Associates - "Party Fears Two"
6. Grandmaster Flash - "The Message"
7. Wah! - "Hope (I Wish You'd Believe Me)"
8. The Sugarcubes - "Birthday"
9. Red Guitars - "Good Technology"
10. Poet & The Roots - "All Wi Doin Is Defendin"
11. The Redskins - "Keep On Keeping On"
12. The Birthday Party - "Release The Bats"
13. The Wild Swans - "Revolutionary Spirit"
14. Gang Of Four - "Damaged Goods"
15. The Wedding Present - "Everyone Things He Looks Daft"
16. Cabaret Voltaire - "Just Fascination"
17. The Undertones - "You've Got My Number (Why Don't You Use It?)"
18. The Fall - "Eat Y'self Fitter"
19. Half Man Half Biscuit - "The Trumpton Riots"