To be off limits is to be desired. You have only to attend Record Store Day too late to realize this — or go any time of the year to a secondhand store and watch the people gaze with covetous eyes at the crap in the back room that has yet to make it out to the floor. We’re used to pressings of 300, 500, 1,000 — hand-numbered, screen-printed, one-of-a-kind treasures that’ll immediately go for exorbitant prices used. Well, how about this one: Ecstatic Peace! has put together an art/tape box set whose limited availability — 26 copies — will blow your mind.
Each box contains 10 new cassette releases and art (covering the physical sides of the box, even) by Thurston Moore, Kim Gordon, Bill Nace, Elaine Kahn, Coco Hayley, Gordon Moore, and John Moloney.
Of course, it’s been a minute since the box was posted on Moore’s blog Flowers & Cream — and thus, it’s sold out. But hey, we thought we’d let you know about what you’re missing out on.
Box contents (that you’ll never have):
01. Body/Head, “Fractured Orgasm” (sick guitar duo Kim Gordon + Bill Nace)
02. Caldera Lakes, “Arranged” (beautiful dream noise from Eva Aguila [Kevin Shields] and Brittany Gould)
03. Stillbirth, “Before Things Got Worse” (focused noise drama from Luke Moldof [Razors & Medicine])
04. Leah Peah, “untitled” (solo cassette of harsh noise love from member of Head Molt)
05. Black Hole Miami, “Pure Hell” (over the top trio of Rat Bastard [To Live & Shave in LA], Ulrich Krieger [Zeitkratzer], and Chris Grier [Scarcity of Tanks, etc.])
06. Blyth Holes, “Blyth Graveyard” (kitchen table UK harsh electronics super-trio of George Proctor [Mutant Ape], Ben Jones [Jazzfinger], and Dean Glaister [Romance]. Artwork by Kim Gordon)
07. Strange Brew, “Live Weird, Die Weird” (solo noise action from Ann Arbor, Michigan legend Michelle Birawer)
08. Sound of Pot/Pewt’r, “untitled” (split cassette from Western Mass underground wizards, exploring internal synth moves. SoP: Conrad Capistran [Tarp], Pewt’r: Ron Schneiderman [Sunburned]. Cover art by Thurston Moore)
09. Weird Habit, “untitled” (amazing new solo venture from Sarah Bernat of 16 Bitch Pile-Up)
10. Stegm, “On Tight White Sheets” (2xcassette in white vinyl case. Killer harsh noise project of Canada power electronics master Ryan Bloomer)