Is your apparatus getting old, rusty, and unreliable? Here’s an easy, six-step DIY guide to building your very own new apparatus:
1. Release a series of acclaimed singles on Deep Medi (if possible, complete this step in 2011). One of them is allowed to be self-titled, but name the other one something pretty normal. Use a word that everyone knows the definition of, like Zebulon.
2. Start your own label, give it a cute name (e.g. Sullen Tone).
3. Put out a few EPs on your new label throughout a year that begins in “20” and ends in “12.” It’s important to get a good number of tracks under your belt (this will be important for later). These tracks can vary in style. Instrumental hip-hop, house, experimental electronic, and dubstep are all great! (Advanced tip: Try integrating elements of folky guitar for an added zest!)
4. Maintain an air of mystery.
5. Consult your Resident Advisor before selecting your favorite tracks from the first four EPs (Derren, Realise, Harem, Alfur) and put them all together in a Compendium.
6. Put the 10 tracks on your new Compendium into the largest kiln you can find until June 3, at which point you can release it on Sullen Tone Records (not before it’s cooled down though!). Be sure to check back periodically while it’s baking to make sure that everything is browning evenly.