You’ve already witnessed your shorts getting tighter/wetter over the announcement of some Olivia Tremor Control tourdates, along with the exciting news of new material being prepared, but now you can just rip those shorts off entirely and send Mr P photographs because the two OTC albums that stirred your soul in the first place are being reissued in deluxe, double vinyl + download code bonanzas!
The reissues of Music from the Unrealized Film Script “Dusk at Cubist Castle” from 1996 and Black Foliage: Animation Music Volume 1 from 1999 are being handled by Chunklet, the magazine that invented ironic distance and occasionally puts out records by large men like Harvey Milk and Patton Oswalt. Chunklet might seem like a strange partner for these records, but apparently Henry Owings has a long history with that band that dates back to the early 90s when they were calling themselves Synthetic Flying Machine.
Along with being the first time these albums have been available on vinyl since their initial release, Black Foliage has been remastered from the original tapes and “sounds 100x better,” which can be scientifically proven. The albums come in sturdy tip-on gatefold jackets with re-scanned album artwork, and here’s something actually worth noting: each album will come with a download card for a sum total of three hours of rare/live/unreleased material from deep within the catacombs of Elephant 6. This includes all the B-sides and compilation tracks, as well as the Dusk bonus CD that came with the first pressing in 96, Explanation II: Instrumental Themes and Dream Sequences.
This all comes out on November 15, and there’s various incentives to buy the albums through Chunklet’s mail order, including limited editions on green vinyl and a bundle of both albums that includes an OTC shirt, which may or may not have already been worn and pitted out by Henry Owings. Check out the tracklisting for the bonus content below, and then put your shorts back on.
Dusk at Cubist Castle bonus material:
01-09. Explanation II: Instrumental Themes and Dream Sequences
10. Black Swan Network (with Capillary Radar)
11. Black Swan Network (with Enveloping Bicycle Folds)
12. Optical Atlas
13. Language of Stationary Travelers
14. Green Typewriters
15. Do You Like Worms? (Do You Dig Worms?)
16. Little Pad
Black Foliage bonus material:
01. The Sky Is a Harpsichord Canvas (full version)
02. Beaker and Avalanche, Part 1
03. Beaker and Avalanche, Part 2
04. Combinations (live)
05. Can You Come Down with Us? (live)
06. A Sleepy Company (live)
07. Outside Explorations, Pt. 3 (live)
08. European Son
09. Glass Beard
10. California Demise (live)
11. Grass Cannons (live)
12. Can You Come Down with Us? (live)
13. Hideaway (live)
14. A Peculiar Noise Called “Train Director” (live)
15. Grains and Sauces/Ice and Rings/Aqua Waters (and a Pear Shaped Thought)
16. The Present Time/Seven Thousand Luminous Aches and Pains/The Dinner Plate