In case you were wondering whether or not they know how to get down in Northern Syria, yes, yes they do, and Omar Souleyman is out to prove it. Prince of Northern Syrian Dabke music, Souleyman is following up his excellent Dabke 2020 (TMT Review) with a new album set for release on May 11. Jazeera Nights is a collection of songs pulling from Souleyman’s tape releases dating way back to 1995.
Some serious mad props to Sublime Frequencies for unearthing some high quality unheard sounds, this obviously being one of them.
01. Hafer Gabrak Bidi (I Will Dig Your Grave With My Hands)
02. Ala Il Hanash Madgouga (The Bedouin Tattoo)
03. Hot Il Khanjar Bi Gleibi (Stab My Heart)
04. Kell Il Banat Inkhatban (All The Girls Are Engaged)
05. Labji Wa Bajji Il Hajar (My Tears Will Make The Stones Cry)
06. Dazeitlak Dezzelli (I Signal, You Deny)
07. Li Raja Behawakom (I Beg You, Baby)
08. Mandal/Metel Il Sukkar Ala Il Shai (I Don’t Know/Like The Sugar In The Tea)
09. Eih Min Elemkom (From The Day That I Told You).
If you’re in the UK area, you might be lucky enough to see the man do his thing live:
05.11.10 - Bristol, UK - Metropolis #
05.12.10 - Glasgow, UK - Stereo
05.13.10 - Leeds, UK - Brudenell Social Club
05.14.10 - Manchester, UK - Sound Control (FutureEverything Festival)
05.15.10 - Minehead, UK - All Tomorrows Parties
05.17.10 - London, UK - Scala
# Konono No 1